Pioneer Trails Regional Museum in Bowman, ND is seeking a summer intern to work in the department of Paleontology. With preference to geology or biology students, the positions are open to all students with a genuine interest and knowledge of paleontology, especially those aspiring to further their experience outside the classroom.
Our museum has a thirty-year history serving rural North Dakota as a hub for history, archeology, genealogy, and paleontology. Over the years, we have established programming taking visitors to numerous paleontologic field sites including the various pioneer trails that run through the area. In recent years, we have been working towards re-establishing the paleontology field programs.
Our field tours run throughout the summer season beginning in June and ending in August. The programs begin at 8:30 am and end around 4:30 pm. Half of the day is spent in field and half is spent in the lab. Participants are taken to active field sites for prospecting and collection in the morning. In the afternoon, the participants are taken into the lab to learn what happens to the recovered fossils.
- Lead Field Tours as part of museum programming
- Assists in providing creative, relevant, and engaging interpretive experiences for visitors of all ages and different backgrounds
- Assists in creating virtual engagement
- Assists in the public preparation laboratory in preparing specimens for exhibit and research
- Assists in outreach, special events, and donor development
- Assists in display design and construction
- Assists the Paleontology Curator as needed
- Enrollment in a college/university program in a subject appropriate to Paleontology (i.e. Biology, Geology)
- Knowledge of paleontology, including being able to answer visitor questions
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Experience working in customer service
- Strong computer skills
- $5,000 for approximately 11 weeks Full-Time, flexible start and end dates
- Assistance with housing
- Specialized training offered: onsite safety training, education and interpretive program training, specific field training.
To apply, download the application and send with your resume to email@example.com. Applications due March 1, 2022. Send any questions to Darrah Steffen at firstname.lastname@example.org