Position Title: Curatorial Assistant
Number of positions available: 1
Keywords: Museum, Collections, Paleontology, Fossil, Cataloging
Location: Bowman, ND
Participant will assist with museum collection projects focusing primarily on identification, cataloging, and rehousing of paleontological specimens within the Hell Creek Formation. Participant will be responsible for working with other museum specialists to identify previously collected specimens and to enter data into Specify. Other projects may be available for those with sufficient experience in fossil preparation, stabilization, and conservation.
Participant will focus on digitizing records of the Hell Creek Formation fossils into the Specify database with clear and accurate information. Specific projects may be developed individually with participant dependent upon their experience, interests, and program needs. Project work will include cataloging, identification, rehousing of specimens to meet museum standards, and development of research tools and finding aids.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
· Organize the Hell Creek fossil collection, moving specimens within the collections as needed.
· Transcribe data from specimen labels and documents.
· Work with paleontology specimen database (Specify), including creating new data fields as needed
· Specimen photography.
· Rehousing objects using archival-grade materials.
· Evaluate specimens’ need for further preparation and triage the work in coordination with the Curator.
· Participate in regular social media posts utilizing the fossils of the Hell Creek collections.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in earth science, geology, or another related field
· Proven and demonstrated experience working in a museum collection and/or with fossils
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
· Professional experience working in museum paleontology collections
· Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds
· Experience or willingness to work in small museum settings
Pay: $10,500 total
Appointment: 18 weeks or approx. 525 hours (May 1 – September 15)
525 hr (3-month equivalent FT) term-limited assistant. This is a grant-supported contract position. There are not benefits or overtime for this position.
Housing is not provided by the Museum. The town of Bowman is most convenient place to live. A list of potential housing options can be obtained through the museum. There are other communities nearby where rentals may be found are all within 30 minutes to an hour drive time. More details and contact information will be provided to the selected applicant.
To apply, download the application and send with your resume to email@example.com. Applications due January 13, 2023. Interviews will be conducted the week of January 23, 2023. Send any questions to Darrah Steffen at firstname.lastname@example.org